• I am serving in the Georgia Atlanta Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from January 26, 2016 to August 1, 2017. This blog contains weekly letters and pictures about my experience.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Jesus, the Very Thought of Thee!


Hey Y'all!

With sweetness fills my breast;
But sweeter far thy face to see
And in thy presence rest."

We've had a pretty special week. :) To start it off, we had zone conference on Wednesday. We got to go to the temple, and I had the opportunity with my companion to do initiatory's and an endowment. This is the first time I've done initiatory's since my own, and it brought a lot of wonderful memories back from when I went through my endowment over a year ago. I love going to the temple before our meeting, I feel as though it brings a peace and spirit to the whole meeting that would have otherwise not been there. I'm so grateful to have a temple in my mission and so close to me! I see it just about ever day now, and I love it. :)

"Nor voice can sing, nor heart can frame,
Nor can the mem'ry find
A sweeter sound than thy blest name,
O Savior of mankind!"

Another amazing miracle happened when we went to see an old investigator named Cindy. The Sandy Springs Elders gave her to us because they were having a hard time setting up appointments with team-ups at the times she could meet. We got her and taught her part of the restoration, but then left and didn't get back to her for a few weeks. We set up an appointment for Thursday last week and had an AMAZING lesson. :D I could see Cindy really soaking everything in when we taught the restoration completely. She still seemed a little skeptical, but she recognized one thing, and even told us, that she needed to read the Book of Mormon to find out if any of this is true. When we asked her what she will do with her answer she told us then she would make changes. At the end we invited her to be baptized if she came to know it's true, and she accepted! :D Pray for Cindy please, as she begins this journey to find out the truth for herself!

"O hope of ev'ry contrite heart,
O joy of all the meek,
To those who fall, how kind thou art!
How good to those who seek!"

That same day we had another really cool experience. We were walking away from an appointment that fell through at an apartment complex when we ran into a Muslim woman with her young son. We asked if we could say a prayer with her. She then lead us into her house where her high-school aged son was able to help translate better for us. We said a prayer, and then the older son talked about his brother who was interested in reading religious texts and finding out what is true. At that instant we knew why we were there. We told him about the book of Mormon and he said he'd ask his brother if he would be interested. At the end we asked if we could do any service and they both perked up and asked us if we could walk with the mother and young son every-so-often to keep them company. It was super sweet to see how even though these people weren't interested themselves it lead to another missionary opportunity as well as a service opportunity. :)

Finally, I know y'all have been waiting to hear about Eddie. ;) Well, Eddie is still struggling. But he is moving forward and in my eyes is making great strides. Last night he said he was sick of not knowing if the church was true or not. It was then that we invited him to fast and pray to know. this invitation has been coming up in our minds for him for a while now, but we haven't felt like it was the right time until last night. And guess what! He accepted! He said he wanted to fast as soon as possible. Today he is fasting for his answer. I ask that everyone pray for Eddie as he searches to know if the church is true. He can use all the prayers he can get! :D

"Jesus, our only joy be thou,
As thou our prize wilt be;
Jesus, be thou our glory now,
And thru eternity."

One scripture that came up today that I felt impressed to share as I've reflected on this week is form D&C. It simply says:
"Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not."
This scripture, although very short and simple is filled to the brim with power. This is the Lord speaking. He is telling us that if we look to Him we will not doubt, nor will we fear. If we keep our eyes on the Savior and our Heavenly Father we cannot falter. However, if we do take our eyes off them for even a moment, doubt and fear will begin to creep into our hearts. This reminds me of the time when Jesus walked on water and peter came out to meet him. Peter had such a strong faith, looking at the Savior and keeping his eyes focused on Him. But then Peter looked away and, with fear creeping in, he began to sink. As he cried out to our savior Christ caught him, then said "wherefore did though doubt?" This question made me think hard about myself and look back at my life. When have I doubted in the savior? When did I begin to look away Christ and God? Of course we are all not perfect, and we at times will be like Peter, and look at the storm coming. That is only human. But the real test is will we look back at Christ? Or will we continue to let our faith be shaken? I testify that the reward for our faithfulness and eye single to Christ and God is greater than any trial we will go through. Any hardship we may suffer. Any pain we may feel from life. Our Heavenly Father promises us Joy beyond our comprehension. So in the midst of trials, let us make a special effort to look to our savior and live. :)


Y'all's Southern Bell,



Sister Welch


Guess what we did! :D The Georgia Aquarium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!






It was one of the penguins hatch day. :D


Yes, that big figure is a whale shark.



No comments:

Post a Comment