• I am serving in the Georgia Atlanta Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from January 26, 2016 to August 1, 2017. This blog contains weekly letters and pictures about my experience.

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Lead Kindly Light


Hey Y'all!

"Lead, kindly Light, amid th'encircling gloom;
Lead thou me on!"

So this past week has been unexpected in many ways. There have been a lot of changes, and some of them have perhaps not been as happy. Others are more bitter sweet. But one thing I know for sure is that God leads us and this work. He will guide us where we need to be. :)

So first off, on Wednesday we had an interesting day. First, we attended the funeral of a member family's son who died while serving for the military in Korea. It was a very bittersweet day for this poor family. Just after learning about his death, their daughter returned from her mission. I can't imagine coming home to that, and I am glad that wasn't me. However, the family remembered the simple messages of hope found in the gospel. That they would see their brother again. Death isn't the end. And that they were sealed to him for time and all eternity. I hope these principles continue to give them peace, comfort, and guidance as they go through this process. 

The same day we attended this funeral, we dropped by "S'" house. There we found the miracle aunty who looked very upset. She was planning on taking "S'" 8 year old daughter "K" away. Why? Because drugs were found at the apartment in an easy to reach place and she was left home alone. This was very upsetting news. The grandmother "D" was extremely upset about the situation. We talked with her for a little, and made her a promise that if she read 10 minutes in the Book of Mormon every day she would feel the light and hope at the end that there is in the gospel. She readily agreed. We also asked if she wanted to quit smoking, if there was a better way to feel calm. She said yes enthusiastically. By the end, we had called the Elders and asked them to come by and give her a blessing that night. It was a very sweet and tender experience. 

"The night is dark, and I am far from home;
Lead thou me on!"

The next day was pretty amazing. It was hump day! :D Yup, I hit my 9 month mark along with my companion and one of our STL's, Sister Lunt. We had an exciting day and everything was great. I had a doctors appointment so not much was done, but that was okay. We celebrated. :)
However, at the end of the night President and Sister Foote called, concerned. I have another infection in my jaw. They were considering sending me home. 

Friday was very stressful, there was much I had to do with doctor notes being transferred and whatnot. We also found out that Sister "J" got into anti material. By the end of the day I got the dreadful call from my mission president. They are sending me home to find out what is wrong. I had until after our stake conference to pack and say goodbye. My companion and I were very sad to hear the news. We were so excited to stay together. The next two days I packed and said goodbye to all those I have grown to love in Hiram.

Saturday we did our last chalk-art together. :) We drew Christ coming to the Americas. Many people loved our chalk and complimented. It was an amazing experience.















Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene--one step enough for me.-- 

On Monday I boarded a plane. Headed away from a place I had called home for 9 months. During this whole experience I felt a sadness leaving those I loved. However, I knew it was for the best. I asked the Lord to lead and guide me. Give me just enough to see one step in front of me. And He did that. :) I made it to my plane. I made it to my parents. I made it home. And eventually, I'll make it back to dear old Atlanta Georgia to finish my mission. This is not the end, I know the Lord just needs me to do here. 

During this unsettled time, I found comfort in a scripture I found while studying in Mark. I had just finished reading about Christ feeding the 5,000, and got to the point where he was waking on the sea towards his apostles who were struggling with the winds. When they first saw him, they were afraid. But he called out to them as he walked closer and said:

"Be of good cheer: it is I; be not afraid."

That scripture hit me with force. Christ is with us. Sometimes we see trials as terrifying, like me going home. However, they are there to make us more like Christ. We need to recognize where he is in our lives. Sometimes he is right in front of us, walking on our spiritually turbulent waters. His message is plane and simple. Be of good cheer... be not afraid. Don't fear the trials ahead. Don't fear what might happen. Look to Him. Let him guide you. Take a step of faith into the waters, and know that if you start to sink, He will catch you. I learned that lesson as I was preparing to go home and even now. We cannot be afraid of what lies ahead. Just look to our loving savior and He will never let us falter, never let us fall farther than he can reach. That is an amazing promise, and one that I'd like to leave any who may be going through a hard time. Look to the Savior. Listen to His words. Be of good cheer! And don't be afraid. :)


Y'all's Southern Belle,



Sister Rebecca Welch

Hump Day Pictures


Christ in the America's chalk art frenzy.





My last night in Hiram.

Celebrating with sparkling cider. :D

Sister Williams ready for bed! She wears that headband because she's afraid of bugs crawling into her ears.

Sister J


Sister Byle saying goodbye! She and her husband played a key role in helping Sister J come back to church.



Coming home













No comments:

Post a Comment