• I am serving in the Georgia Atlanta Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from January 26, 2016 to August 1, 2017. This blog contains weekly letters and pictures about my experience.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

4th Times the Charm!


Hey Y'all!

This week has been a little different. :P For all Ya'll who don't know, I went in for my 4th oral surgery since before my mission when I had my wisdom tooth removed. To make a long story short, it was due to a recurring infection. However, that put us out of commission for a day or two. But I am so appreciative of the members who helped me out at this time. I truly do serve in the best ward. :) However, this is not something I care to relive for a 5th time so let's hope that 4 is my lucky number! But even though we were out for a few days, it didn't stop a lot of miracles from happening and work getting done.

Our first little miracle came on Wednesday, the day before my surgery. We got our first headquarters referral since April! A Headquarters referral is someone who has requested something online through one of church-run websites, or through a church add. This man, "C", requested a Bible. When someone requests something, a missionary calls them and asks if they would be okay with missionaries delivering their item along with giving them a brief lesson about the gospel and Book of Mormon. "C" was very interested in learning how the Book of Mormon could bless his life. We called him soon after receiving the referral and he was super interested! :D He asked if we cold meet on Tuesday and teach him more. Yay! :D I literally jumped up and down with excitement after getting off the phone. :) I hope and pray that he will progress and recognize the truthfulness of the gospel. :)

Another miracle happened on Saturday. We were able to attend the Baptism of one of the other wards converts. Her name is "T". I had the opportunity to teach her a few transfers ago, and sister Clark was able to teach her when she served in her last area. "T" is such a bright and happy girl, and she was so prepared to accept the gospel when it was taught to her. Seeing her get baptized was like nothing I have ever felt. The air was electric, and the spirit was so strong. I don't think anything could wipe the smile from her face. Afterwards, we hugged her and asked how she felt. She broke out into her "happy dance" and told us how excited she was to be confirmed at sacrament meeting the next day. :) This was the first convert baptism I have been to as a missionary, and I can honestly say that it is so different than any other baptism I have attend. To see these people who have finally found the gospel take a step, one that I have taken so long ago, with such excitement and determination is amazing. It made me kind of wish I could be baptized as a convert just so I could understand and feel how they feel. :)

This week has definitely been different, but in a good way. :) It has really made me set out with optimism and determination to try and find as many people as I can find and bring them to the gospel. 

I'd like to share something from my studies. I was reading in Matthew 24 about the death of Christ. Although this is a sad moment, as we read about him hanging on the cross, what struck me even more is that these people never truly realized that they were watching the Son of God die for them. It wasn't until after he died that a Centurion with some others looked around and "Watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God."

Those things were the tearing of the temple veil, the rising of many righteous from the graves to walk about the city, and the short death of Christ. All of these things pointed to even the Centurions that this was the Son of God. They trembled in fear. It is sad to me that they never realized it fully until the end, when they thought it was all over. This WAS the son of God. Christ didn't stop being the Son of God when he died, no. In a more joyous way, I'd like to rephrase what this unknowing centurion said so long ago. Because he was killed for the sins of the world, he was able to rise again form the grave three days later. Christ isn't a past person. He is ever-living. He IS. That simple fact evaded this centurion and his little group. They didn't know, and even the apostles didn't understand, that Christ would rise again. That he isn't gone permanently, and he isn't something of the past. He lives today, he is here today. And he is as current as you and I are right now. Truly this IS the Son of God. He surpasses time and death. He is forever, and his goal is to let us be forever too. :) I love that simple fact, and how it changes everything. I love my Savior, and I'm so grateful that he has chosen me to bare his name on my chest for 18 months. :) 

Y'all's Southern Bell,


Sister Welch

Here are some pictures of a really pretty lake we saw on exchanges. :) Also some really weird looking orange mushrooms on the path to the lake. Yes, they are naturally orange REAL mushrooms. Don't ask me how they got so florescent. :P










No comments:

Post a Comment