• I am serving in the Georgia Atlanta Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from January 26, 2016 to August 1, 2017. This blog contains weekly letters and pictures about my experience.

Monday, June 27, 2016

Secret Stairs and Open Windows

Hey Y'all!

Today, I am emailing you from the busy upper part of Atlanta. Yes, that's right, I am on exchanges with some sisters up here while we are going to appointments! :D City life is where it's at!

This past week ended up not going at all as how we had expected. What a surprise! :D But we ended up being able to do a lot of service. We helped a new member unpack as she moved into our ward. They live in the awesome house! We call it the Narnia house. It has hallways and doors that lead to strange places. You could get lost in the house! In the master bedroom, we found a skinny little door that leads to a set of stairs bringing us to the garage. Craziness! We are so excited to welcome this new family into the ward. We plan to visit them again this week, where I will take pictures of the crazy Narnia house. :)

The start of this transfer brought some disappointment with our investigators. Some of them we haven't been able to get in contact with for weeks, and others keep canceling appointments and dodging our calls. It seamed as if doors were being closed all over, however, I'm a big believer that when one door closes, God opens a window. And that's exactly what He did!

So first, we were suppose to have a return appointment to see "H" and "D" this past week, but they turned us down. "H" with her sister "J" and boyfriend "D". At first, we didn't go by and talk to them and just went to contact a referral. However, on the way back, we noticed them still outside and decided to stop by and talked with them. We pulled over and talked for a while about the Book of Mormon and where they were at. We found that they really enjoyed what they had read so far. Then, we turned to "D" and asked if he wanted to read it with them. He said sure! :D So we gave him a Book of Mormon too and left them with a prayer and promise of it's truth. 

Our second window opened to us was a referral from a member in the Peachtree City ward. She told us about a young family who just moved into our ward boundaries from Rhode Island. They were renting a house that this member owned. She told us their names were "M" and "R". I thought "R" sounded familiar, but I brushed the feeling off and we went to contact them with a member. "M" is like the perfect investigator situation! She has been searching for the true gospel of Jesus Christ, and hasn't been able to find it in any church she has been going to. When they decided to move to Georgia, she prayed to know why she was being sent there. A few days later she got a call from the member and she was introduced to the church a little. "M" later talked about how she had a feeling that her life was going to change when she moved to Georgia. That is when she stared learning about the church. How cool is that?! But wait, there's more! :D You remember how I said that "R" sounded familiar? So after talking with "M" for a while, it finally clicked why! Two months earlier, we had ran into a man named "R" at the store. We talked with him for a little and found out he was moving to PTC from Rhode Island for work, and that he was here early while his family packed up and moved. We gave him a card and moved on with our day. That "R" is "M"'s husband! :D It's amazing the way that the Lord works when accomplishing the work. He truly does have a huge hand in his work, and we are just here to help move it forward. :)

Something I learned this week is that nothing will ever go how YOU plan it. It always goes how the Lord plans it. If all of our appointments didn't fall through, if we had gone through our week as we had planned it, we probably wouldn't have found those people that the Lord wants us to talk to. I was taught through my life and especially out here on my mission, to give my will to the Lord. So many times I have had to be humbled and reminded of that very simple fact. However many times that I have been shown this, it still amazes me. I grow from those experiences and I learn from the Lord that he is making me who He wants me to be. I was thinking a lot about this last night and decided to write a poem about it I'm not the best at writing them, but I couldn't get it out of my mind.

Give me your heart,
and I will give you life.
Give up your soul,
and I will show you 
freedom.

I paid the price,
so you can have no chains.
I suffered,
for your happiness.

So give me your heart,
your will and might,
and I will give you
Eternal Life.

I know that as we give up our hearts, and our wills to the Lord, He will give us the most precious reward of all. Eternal Life. But it takes trusting in Him. That he knows what he is doing. Take that leap of faith. Step over the edge and know that He will catch you. Because he will. I have learned that over and over again in my mission. :)


Y'all's Southern Bell,

Sister Welch

Some pretty awesome spaghetti we made! :D So proud of us!

Sister Tracy trying to stuff frozen crock pot food into our crock pot! LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment