• I am serving in the Georgia Atlanta Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from January 26, 2016 to August 1, 2017. This blog contains weekly letters and pictures about my experience.

Saturday, December 31, 2016

What Child Is This

Hey Y'all!

"What Child is this who, laid to rest
On Mary's lap is sleeping?
Whom Angels greet with anthems sweet,
While shepherds watch are keeping?"

So sorry I haven't updated y'all for a while now. It's been a little crazy at home. :) However, I have some great news! My doctors are optimistic for my return to my mission at the beginning of January. We are shooting to get me back out on January 3rd. I have two more checkup's this week and if they are all clear then I can start the process of returning. :D This is truly a miracle, and I am so very excited to be finally returning to my wonderful mission!

"Why lies He in such mean estate,
Where ox and ass are feeding?
Good Christians, fear, for sinners here
The silent Word is pleading."

The last few weeks have been lots of fun, but also very crazy. getting ready for Christmas was very fun. One of the funniest things I did was with my mom for my dad. You see, a few years ago he brought a rubber chicken to his family's white elephant party, but my brother took it home and gave it away at another party. My dad was sad because he wanted it to return again. Every year he has complained about it. So finally, my mom and I did something about it. We bought a dozen little 8 inch rubber chickens and started to play a little bit of elf on the shelf chicken style. They did all sorts of things starting the week before. We hung them by nooses, gave them a snowball fight, stuck them in the shower to cause mayhem, and lots of other things. To top it off, on Christmas day we wrapped a big squawking rubber chicken exactly like the one he lost and gave it to him. He hat lots of fun! And so did we! :D

"Nails, spear shall pierce Him through,
The cross be borne for me, for you.
Hail, hail the Word made flesh,
The Babe, the Son of Mary."

To be a little more serious, I also did some other great things this christmas season. I made more cookies for the missionaries here. They were having another zone conference and payed me to make sugar cookies and cowboy cookies. I had lots of fun doing it!

"So bring Him incense, gold and myrrh,
Come peasant, king to own Him;
The King of kings salvation brings,
Let loving hearts enthrone Him."

I also went on an adventure too. :) My best friend Sister Palmer - who will be continuing her mission as a service missionary. We took the long, three hour drive to Vernal Utah to visit the temple. It was a beautiful temple and the most amazing experience. I have never seen a celestial room that surprised me quite the way that one did. It was simply amazing! Something funny happened too when we were together. After the session we were talking to a temple worker who asked us if we were missionaries! Haha! :D We laughed and explained to her that we were sick missionaries hoping to continue our missions soon. Later, when we went to lunch, the men making our food asked us that same question. One seemed really nice and interested in our predicament. Afterwords me and my friend laughed. I guess we still look a lot like missionaries! :D

"Raise, raise a song on high,
The virgin sings her lullaby.
Joy, joy for Christ is born,
The Babe, the Son of Mary."

The rest of my time leading up to christmas was fun. My parents took me to a Kurt Bestor concert. If you don't know who he is, look him up on youtube. He plays beautiful music. :) I also got to visit my cousin that returned from his mission in the Alpine German speaking mission a couple of weeks ago. This next Sunday I'll get to hear him speak. I never thought I'd be able to see that. Haha! In fact I shouldn't be able to see it because I should be out in the field. But this is definitely a tender mercy to see my cousin. We also had a christmas party for my dad's family and for our family, which was chaotic as usual. :) And christmas was amazing as usual, with lots of food and the best opportunity to go to Church. :D

"This, this is Christ the King,
Whom shepherds guard and Angels sing;
Haste, haste, to bring Him laud,
The Babe, the Son of Mary."

This season has definitely been crazy, but it has also been filled with many miracles. I love the Christmas season because of all it encompasses. On this day a child was born. Not just any child, but our Lord and savior. The only begotten of the Father that can atone for us. That set an example of who we needed to be. Through him we learned the meaning of Christmas. To be Christlike. This song I have had stuck in my head. It's beautiful. Bring him incense, gold, and myrrh. This is Christ the King! Haste to bring him here! The babe, the son of Mary.


Y'all's Southern Bell,



Sister Welch


A coconut cream pie I made for the youth to take to families as they caroled around the ward.

 The sugar cookies I made for a missionary zone conference.




Me at the Vernal temple.

Vernal Temple

Pepper stole my dad's reading glasses. ;D

One of the many nativities we have in our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment