• I am serving in the Georgia Atlanta Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from January 26, 2016 to August 1, 2017. This blog contains weekly letters and pictures about my experience.

Monday, April 18, 2016

Just Keep Swimming... Swim, Swim, Swim!



In her private letter to me this week Becca shared that Sister K's nickname for her is Dory.  I couldn't agree more.
Hey Y'all!

This week has been a little different. To start off, I had the most amazing once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get my patriarchal blessing out here in the mission field.  What a wonderful opportunity it was! The most amazing part was how much it lifted me up for that day. It boosted my testimony more than I could have imagined, and it also let me know that there are people here who need to hear MY message to them. I can't wait to get my blessing in the mail and read again all of the wonderful blessings the Lord has in store for me.

The other slightly different event in my week was oral surgery. For all ya'll who don't know, I have been having some problems from having my wisdom tooth removed before coming out here in the mission field. (Yes, I said tooth. I only had one.) To put a long story short, it all ended up in me having my third surgery this weekend. Now, you may think that sounds horrible, but the Lord blessed me in so many ways! First off was with the member that took me to the surgery and took care of me all day. She was AMAZING! The members here in Flatcreek are one-of-a-kind. I am so blessed to have been out here. She made sure I was comfortable and really took care of me as if I were her daughter. The other blessings came from the love extended from our ward members. They were so kind and ready to help. 

Even though I was out for two days, we still got a lot done. The Lord knows what is going to happen, and he has a plan for us. Everything comes in HIS timing. 

Unfortunately, we didn't see many of our investigators this week. However, things worked out how the Lord had planned. Instead of spending a lot of time with investigators, we were able to see our members. A few of them have had some rough trials lately. One of our beloved members, who we call Momma C, was in the hospital and got home this past week. She had a serious infection and had to go into surgery for it! She is on the road to recovery now, and we were able to see her with a member. What a hard trial to go through!

Another member we saw is a recent convert of about 5 years. This poor woman is the single mother of a child who seems to think she is an adult when in all reality is really is acting like she is 5. This woman works hard to earn enough money for her and her child. Unfortunately, an incident happened this last week while the mother was at a church activity. The child had the police called on her, which resulted in her being taken away from her mother. This was a very trying time for them, and still is. One of our amazing members took the child in, and she will remain there for the month until she can hopefully return to her mother. We came over and visited with the mother a few times this week. She told us her story, and we did our best to uplift her. Please keep her and her daughter in your prayers, along with Momma C. Our members are so amazing, going through all these challenges and staying active in the church. 

To end this letter, I would love to share a scripture I came across in my studies the other day. It's in D&C 6: 34-36 "Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail. Behold, I do not condemn you; go your ways and sin no more; perform with soberness the work which I have commanded you. Look not me in every thought; doubt not, fear not." I know that as long as we rely on our savior and build our foundations up on His rock, that nothing will move us. Earth and Hell may combine against us, we may feel in the deepest darkest cave, or the world may come crashing down around us. But the Lord knows how we feel. He assures us that as long as we rely on Him, do His work, and He will lift us up. Look to him in all that you do. Have faith in Him, because he is perfect. He WILL NOT let us fall. Don't be afraid, especially in times that the adversary is crushing against you. He has no power over a faithful servant of the lord. I promise that WHATEVER challenge we may face in life, the gospel is the answer, the key to happiness. I have seen it in my life, and I see it continually in the members of the Flatcreek ward as they go through their trails.


Y'all's Southern Bell,


Sister Welch :)

No comments:

Post a Comment